August 08, 2005

Today's Pond Q&A

-------------------------------
Today's Pond Q&A

In this issue:

- WARNING - Salt in the Pond

- Dying Goldfish

-----------------------------

IMPORTANT MESSAGE>

A member wrote that his fish died as a result of administering
salt to the pond. He was using a salt meter to get the correct
dosage, but the pond was overdosed.

What I want to tell readers is that when adding salt (or any
other chemicals) please never leave the pond unattended. If the
fish seem stressed, there is something wrong. Either there is
too much medicine going in, or the fish are too weakened to
handle the treatment in the first place. Please do not add
chemicals to treat parasites unless you have determined your fish
have parasite infestation, and know what type of parasite you are
treating.

As with any other medicine, "measure twice and dose once". If
there should be any signs of stress in the fish, like gasping for
air, erratic swimming, or other signs of dying, a 30-50% water
change is the first thing to do. Stop adding salt and do a water
change. Salt also should be added over a period of three days,
preferably in 1/3 increments.

And for safety purposes, I think it best that you use only 3
lb/100 gallons. Catfish and other scaleless fish can be
sensitive to salt. There are Koi health books available by Dr.
Erik L. Johnson, DVM and can be found at www.koivet.com website.

-Carolyn Weise

==

Question>

Hello Carolyn, I`m really just a beginner to keeping Goldfish and
have just built a new pond (about six weeks now) I am having
trouble with my Goldfish that I put in,they all seem to develop
a grey type of fungus over their bodies and of course die
because of it,I have tried recommended treatments,but they don`t
seem to be clearing it up.

We have very soft water here in Scotland,is there any more that I
can do before I purchase any

more fish.(strange that the Canary Golds introduced at the same
time have not shown this disease.) Hoping that you can help me
with this problem.

Best wishes and thank you for your excellent site.

James

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Introducing the New Pond Fresh PF-100 Hose Water Filter
Instantly Removes Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia & More.
Never Add De-Chlorinator or Unnecessary Chemicals Again!
http://www.macarthurwatergardens.com/pond-fresh/PF-100.shtml
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Answer>

Hi, James,

I wouldn't think soft water would harm the fish. I am told water
in Japan is soft too. But the fungus sounds terrible. Have you
had the fungus checked under a microscope to be sure it isn't a
parasite infection, like Ich? Ich sometimes will resemble
fungus.

I would suggest you take one of the infected fish to an expert
for a better diagnosis before trying to treat them. Sometimes
when certain fish in a pond do not exhibit disease they may have
developed immunity to the problem, but can be carriers. You
might try isolating the Canary Golds when you put in some new
fish and see if this is the case.

-Carolyn


Happy Pondkeeping!

MacArthur Water Gardens
www.macarthurwatergardens.com

MacArthur Water Gardens
PO Box 3628
Alpharetta, GA 30023-3628

Posted by bfogle at August 8, 2005 07:58 AM
Comments